September 24, 2008

A Birthday Resolution


This is the year that I reclaim my own physical fitness! Not since Lorelei's birth have I consistently done any kind of exercise that might lead to what one would call fitness. I have far more constraints on my time now then I did 3 years ago, but I've got to make it happen!

I recently read a tiny little interview article with Brooke Shields. She said that she believes in not wasting energy worry about something but putting that same amount of energy toward doing something about it. So, I'm trying not to put negative energy out there beating myself up about what I'm NOT doing.

I woke up on Sunday morning, and to commemorate my 32nd birthday I decided to go run for 32 minutes. Not a tall task, but I have got to say not such an easy one either. I did rather enjoy most of the run (although 25 minutes would have been just perfect). At around the 25 minute mark, I remembered that to commemorate my 23rd birthday I had gone out and run 23 miles. My how far I've fallen. From miles to minutes. Next I'll be down to blocks!

It certainly helped that it was a Sunday and I could go run at 6 am. I also just magically woke up that morning before anyone else and this idea was just lying in wait. I continued to be enough inspired to then do 32 situps.

Monday I tried it again, this time after work, after getting home with the girls and having supper in the making. It was harder to run at that time than in the morning - but I did it. 32 minutes. Followed by 32 situps.

Tuesday I did a fast walk pushing Lorelei around the block for maybe 10-15 minutes while Andres finished preparing dinner. Then I did a few (and I really, truely mean a few) arm exercises with hand weights and finished off with some abdominal activity. Yeah for me. I feel happy to have done something. It is funny how making the effort at this point counts for so much more than the actual workout itself!

No comments: